Monday, March 27, 2017

Book Review: Nemesis by Brendan Reichs

Nemesis by Brendan Reichs (from a Two Thumbs Up reviewer) - McNally Robinson Booksellers
What is Nemesis?
- It's a thrilling YA mystery that leaves you wanting more
- It's full of mind-blowing twists that will actually make you look up from the book to shout to the entire world around you TO READ IT
- It's a dark tale that stabs (quite literally *wink,wink*) you in the heart at every turn and constantly throws all new levels of craziness into the mix
Nemesis shouldn't work, but somehow it does. It managed to have me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. It shocked me. It creeped me out. I laughed. I cried. In short, I loved it. It was one of those rare books that glued my eyes to the page and had me devouring each sentence in a mad need to find out what the hell was going on and what would happen next.
The best books are held aloft by a great protagonist and Nemesis is no exception. Min is exactly the type of character I love. She's strong-willed, fierce and brave. She is also angry, bitter and ferocious. Min has experienced her 'murder' and then 'revival' every two years since her eighth birthday. She has lived her life to think that there's something wrong with her, that she is crazy. We soon switch POVs to Noah, our second main character, who is almost the exact opposite of Min. She's like fire, raw and burning, while he's like water, calm and soothing. Noah have been experiencing the same 'murders' as Min, and weirdly he has the same birthday as her. While he is afraid, Min is hungry for answers.
This book opens on September 18, 2017, and an Anvil is predicted to hit Earth. The whole population holds their breath for the final outcome. Oddly, this is one day after Min and Noah's sixteenth birthdays and murders. This book has so many things going on at once, but it never feels overwhelming. The author expertly executes this story by making you think you know where it's going, then making an abrupt U-turn and shouting, "ha! I fooled you all!" The plot is absolutely spectacular from beginning to end. We have Min, who questions everything and is a very action driven character, while Noah is observant and reserved.
In all end, this book is the latest addition to my YA favourites shelf. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a great plot, diverse characters, and hilarious-to-date humor. 9.4/10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment